Monday, June 30, 2008

Strawberry Ice Cream

This weekend was the first weekend for strawberries at the farmers market! I picked up a quart so I could make some strawberry ice cream. I wanted to try a recipe I found from The New Vegetarian Epicure. I ran out to pick up all the ingredients and of course forgot to get buttermilk which the recipe called for, but because it isn't a typical ice cream ingredient I totally forgot and it's rather hard to find at my neighborhood bodega and it was raining heavily outside so I had to improvise! I had some strawberry kefir in my fridge so I cut the sugar in the recipe and added the kefir instead which I "watered" down a bit with milk and cream. Wow! It was amazing. I don't know if the kefir made a difference at all since this was the first time trying the recipe, but the ice cream was fantastic! Mike liked it so much he ate it for breakfast this morning.


2 comments:

Melissa--KunceKrafts said...

looks yummy!!!

Karen said...

Your ice cream looks so good I want to take a bite right from the picture:)