Monday, July 7, 2008

Finding Inspiration

I'm back! Portland was great, I will post some photos soon...the drive home was long and there was a lot of settling in to do last night (think getting locked out of your apartment and finding a fridge full of rotted food!)...so there was no time to upload photos.

Have you ever checked out the Storque's "Quit Your Day Job" feature? The stories are so inspiring....I read these when I need motivation.

I really want to quit my day job and run Kopah full time. It's always been my dream to own my own business, since I was little. My grandma used to send me boxes of stuff like pencils, erasers, candy, in large quantities and I would sell it at school (sorry grandma!), so the desire has always been there. My mom says I get that from my dad!

While I want Kopah to be successful and eventually support me (and as long as I'm wishing for stuff, to support Mike too!), it's so hard to stay motivated. I work full time and when I come home all I want to do is relax, not think about another business. It's so hard trying to find a balance. While Kopah is nowhere near being able to support me, I still think/dream about it every day. I find inspiration by reading Etsy success stories. It keeps me motivated and inspired to keep working at it, even when I want to give up! I have so many ideas floating around in my head and so many things I want to implement and I have to admit that laziness often takes over. Sometimes I can be my own worst enemy! I think I need to make myself more accountable, hold myself to my goals...not only find inspiration, but keep it!

6 comments:

Joanna Schmidt said...

Owning one's business, running it, and sustaining...well, it is a challenge. I am a good example though. It can be done. With moxy.

I urge you to persevere.

Anonymous said...

That is why I am excited/in a panic about leaving my job at the end of the month. I decided to take off for the month of August and see how things go. I'll have a small cushion from the buyout money I accepted (after I pay off my credit cards that is). I'm hoping with all the free time I have will enable me to spend more time promoting and getting myself out there for more sales.

I can definitely see you doing it, it's your calling!!! :)

Alana said...

I am going through a similar process right now - I work part time and go to school and am trying to get my business up and running. It really is a challenge to put in the effort that is needed.

I just have to say that the stories help push me too - thanks for sharing!

Alana said...

Thanks for sharing this link.

I am in a similar situation right now and it is hard to balance life and work and try to get a business started. Reading other people's experiences is really inspirational.

Thanks for sharing your frustrations because it can be really hard to articulate to others, especially when you know what you "should" be doing and you dont feel like you are doing it!

Candice said...

Thank you everyone for your support and kind words!!! It's good to know other people feel the same way I do!

Anonymous said...

A kindred soul. I felt like I was reading about myself. I work full time almost an 1 1/2 from where I live. I am also trying to start a stationery business with a friend of mine. Any spare time after that is spent trying to design and paint things for myself, to fill some weird void I have. I am lucky these days because things seem to be moving a bit, but for the longest time I felt paralyzed by all of the ideas in my head, mixed with fear and a failure to produce anything. laziness was my escape. I am not sure how I got through those days. I long to quit my day job. I want it so badly, I know how you feel. I guess just taking it one day at a time is key and trying to move forward no matter what.You can't find joy in the laziness, God knows I tried. Laziness and food. Sorry for rambling. You can do it!!! We all can.