Saturday, December 15, 2007

Countdown to Christmas...Day 15, Making Christmas Gifts

I am officially in panic mode trying to get the last of my Christmas gifts finished before I leave on Thursday to go home. I picked up the fabric I needed from Purl on Friday and have been working on gifts all weekend. Here is a glance at a project for my mom...



It's going to be a yoga bag which will be the death of me....let's just say my seam ripper and I have gotten to be very good friends this weekend!! I also picked up fabric to make some hand towels for my grandparents and my dad. Luckily that is a fairly easy project and I have already gotten one set finished. I also made peppermint bark for some people at work and to send to my dad. Here's the recipe, it's quick and easy and makes a great gift

Here's what you'll need:

1 pkg white chocolate chips
1 pkg candy canes to yield 1 cup of crushed candy canes
Wax paper
Some good music to listen to while you are working, Christmas music works but I was in the mood for Van Morrison today so that is what I listened to

In a double broiler melt the white chocolate. Crush the candy canes in a plastic bag (I usually just use the back of a spoon for this). Just be careful, this can make a mess as it usually puts holes in the bag so either double bag the canes or work on top of the wax paper. Pour the candy canes into the melted white chocolate. Then pour the mixture onto your wax paper and spread evenly. Put the wax paper in the fridge for approx. 45 minutes to harden. Once the mixture is hardened remove it from the fridge and break into pieces. It's ready to go!

You can package it in cellophane bags or cute containers or tins. I took paper mache boxes and covered them with some really adorable Christmas paper I found at Kate's Paperie.





No comments: