Monday, May 19, 2008

Baking and famous people

I was hoping for a shop update today but unfortunately I wasn't able to get everything done this weekend, Saturday was so beautiful that Mike and I spent most of the day outside. We were given free tickets to Taste of Tribeca and while we were there we met Spike from Top Chef!! Afterwards we were walking to meet some friends in the West Village and we spotted Giselle! The paparazzi were following her like crazy!





I did quite a bit of baking this weekend as well. Mike and I have had this amazing bread book for a few months now and the only thing we have managed to make from it is pizza dough. Since I have scared myself silly by watching all these documentaries about food I am trying to avoid eating processed foods so I wanted to make some sandwich bread. I referred to the book and found a recipe for Buttermilk Bread and since I had some buttermilk left over from the scones I made last weekend I decided to give it a try. Wow! It was delicious, the recipe made two loaves so I made one into a cinnamon raisin bread (another recipe in the book) which Mike and I ate for breakfast and the other one I am going to use for sandwiches this week. If you like bread, you have to get this book. It is incredible! The next recipe we are going to try from the book is soft pretzels...yum! I also made some amazing buttermilk cookies which I found the recipe for at Orangette's blog. The recipe called for lemon zest but we only had a lime on hand so I used that. It was a tiny lime and didn't give it much flavor but the green flecks in the cookies looked pretty! The cookies really didn't even need the zest, they were so good without that added flavor. Mike and I devoured them, I'm embarrassed to say I made them not even 24 hours ago and they are all gone!!! I am now going to have to walk on the treadmill for 6 miles to burn off all the carbs I consumed this weekend!!

Hoping for a shop update by the end of this week so stay tuned!

No comments: